First Road Trip Since Cancer Returned

Bill and I just returned from our first road trip to visit our son Carter and grand-daughter Olivia in Virginia.  Since my breast cancer returned last month in my spine, ribs, and hips, it was challenge for me to figure out how far I could push myself walking, swimming and playing with a 14 month old.  I thought I would wear her out, nope she won, and wore me out completely...in a good way!

Traveling with bone mets has it challenges.  Comfort, rest, and medication for pain along with eating healthy are extremely important if you don't want to crash and burn.  I am having a lot of pain in my ribs the past week and it isn't getting better.  Had problems with my pain medication Tramadol as it made my head foggy and lightheaded.  Taking a heavy dose on my return trip made me sick to my stomach. 

Returning home, we drove straight back for 11 hours.  Not smart, felt horrible 6 hours into the trip, and got sick to my stomach promptly when I walked in the house.  Went to bed right away and didn't get up until 7AM the next morning.  Still feeling unwell and taking the day to rest.

It was all worth it to spend time with Carter and Olivia.  We got to go to a local playground/park, Manassas Battlefield, visit a train museum, and wonderful local Italian restaurant.  They stayed at our hotel for 3 days and we went swimming everyday.  Even walked the mall as it was too cold and rainy to go back to the park. This all gave me confidence that I could start exercising again, taking baby steps back into bike riding, walking, and horse riding.

I appreciate those of you tuning into my blog from around the world:  Germany, Switzerland, Canada, Sweden, Honduras, and the UK.   It is surprising to me that more than 560 page views happened in the few weeks since I started posting.  

Please continue to share my blog with your friends and family facing breast cancer.  For those with stage IV metastatic breast cancer, I found a great source of current news and information on Facebook.  Dikla Benzeevi is extremely knowledgeable and shares a great deal on info on her FB page.  She has been involved with Living Beyond Breast Cancer panel discussion on Women living with advanced stage IV metastatic breast cancer.

I hope that this blog will continue to inspire those living with MBC to stay informed and count each day as a blessing from God.  The statistic tell us we only have a 2-3 years after diagnosis to live.  But, there are so many are living 10, 12 and 14 years in treatment that I can't help but feel we have a greater purpose to support one another, inspire each other, and live out the life that God has planned for us.

God bless you all. 
 

Comments

Popular Posts