Living A Happy Life

Summertime at the farm:

Kicked off Summertime on Memorial weekend with the grandson Nick, Nathan, and Nolan.  We built a 7 foot Moss Man.  Yep, found some local folks here in North Florida create these large yard guardians. So, we thought we'd build one.  Kind of looks like a mix between a Wookie and Bigfoot.  Wood frame and some chicken wire get stuffed with moss.  Our has a special touch of presenting a wood cross.


Bill took time to work with each of the boys to practice driving the mower.  Nick the oldest drove all by himself this time.  The other two drove, seated on Bill's lap, and learned the finer points of driving safely.

I've been able to get up on my horse and ride some around the pasture areas.  Was able to get back in the saddle again, which felt great.  Also, have ventured out on my bike for some exercise.  I don't want to stop moving, as I think it would be too easy to give into the idea that I can't do these things anymore.  Fighting hard to not let that happen.

I'm taking a break from the vegy garden for the Summer.  It's been too hot to grow anything.  Not planting giant sunflowers or Christmas beans this year.  Yes, I do have 3 rows of sweet potatoes going as always.  Love them and they are easy to grow despite the weather.  Now we are having so much rain everyday.  Joke about watching for animals showing up two-by-two looking for a boat.  Ha.

Continue to do paper crafts, YouTube videos, canning, and wine making.  Have cut back on my stationery business for a while.  Can't manage the stress right now.  Stress is a very bad thing for me as it causes mental and physical pain and illness.  Aggravates the cancer.

Staying Positive In Cancer Land:

Some of you continue to ask Bill and I really good questions about the status of my cancer and what treatment am I receiving. 

The breast cancer spread into my bones specifically almost all of my spine, ribs, hips and femur.  When breast cancer does this, it is called Metastatic Breast Cancer (MBC) and classified as Stage 4 terminal.  This type of cancer is treatable but not curable.  Harsh reality, I will eventually die from this.  Life expectancy is 3 years on average.   BUT, treatment today is extending life for so many of us to 10, 12, and 15 years and more.  My oncologist says she has many patients 10 years into the treatment program with very good quality of life.  She is very optimistic and so am I.

My treatment right now consist of monthly injections of Faslodex, a hormone inhibitor.  I am estrogen positive which feeds the cancer.  Faslodex starves the cancer, this is a good thing.  Not experiencing too many side effects, some fatigue, some nausea.  I take an injection monthly of Xgeva which builds my bones since the cancer is trying to destroy my bones.  I've had a Quadramet radiation treatment, which is typically used for prostate cancer, but they are now using it to relieve pain in MBC patients.  Scheduled to have more radiation treatment (spot welding) in the next couple of weeks to relieve pain in my ribs and hips.  Radiation treatment is only used to relieve pain at this time.

The goal right now is to kill, shrink, and put the cancer to sleep.  It will always co-exist with me, but we want it to go asleep and not grow, spread, or mutate. 

Some of you mention chemo treatment.  No, I'm not having any chemo at this time, if the cancer spreads to my organs, or my hormone therapy fails, that would then be my next step.  No surgery to remove cancer tumors as they are extensive throughout my bones.

So what happens next.  Drs will continue drug treatment until the cancer mutates or the Faslodex fails.  Then, I go to another drug.  Then another, then another, then another until the end.  If the cancer spreads it will go to the organs.  Not good.  But, again, I have many women I've met with this type of cancer that spread to the brain, lungs, or liver and they're still alive and functioning 10 or more years into treatment.

I had one doctor explain to me, that they are optimistic that with all the new treatments on the horizon, metastatic breast cancer will be viewed and treated in the U.S. very much like HIV/AIDS.  Whereas, it used to be a death sentence, today it is treatable for life.  Think of Magic Johnson!

My jobs is to stay alive long enough to continue to receive the current drugs and treatment options that will allow me to live a long and happy life.  Which, by the way, through God's grace, I am doing.

Bill and I continue to feel blessed.  With much love,  Valerie

                       I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I finish the race
                       and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me--the task
                       of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.  Acts 20:24


Comments

  1. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to search for cancer cure so that was how I found a lady called Peter Lizzy. She was testifying  to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kinds of disease and the herbal man's email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister's help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whats app him +2348110114739  you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me davidclara223@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts