And So It Begins

Had another beautiful morning with Bill.  Taking life slowly these days...A Day At A Time.  Enjoyed my coffee while studying the Bible.   Watched the horse graze in the field and talked about how our day seemed exciting and yet uneasy.  Going to North Florida Regional Hospital to have bone palliation therapy using Quadramet.  My radiologist Dr. Grow was going to administer it. 

Twenty days ago on March 31, 2017, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer in the bones of my spine, ribs, hips, and femurs.  What a shocker...a big disappoint.  My breast cancer had come back. 

My original breast cancer was discovered in 2013, immediately had a biopsy, yep it breast cancer.  Had the tumor in my left breast removed and 26 lymphoids under my armpit side.  I was staged at 3C.  Had chemo, radiation, hormonal treatment and reconstructive surgery of both breast as I got rid of the right breast as well.  For 3 1/2 years I was feeling good and doing very well.  In January 2017, I started having back aches and my ribs hurt too.  Thought I just pulled something as I am an active person.  Started checking in with doctors as the pain was getting really bad.  Went to rheumatologist, he X-ray the areas as he thought I may have fractured a bone in my spine.  He couldn't find anything.  Went to my internal medicine doctor.  Poor guy, Dr. R, about gave him a heart-attack.  He was poking around my back and ribs when I screamed and about pee'd my pants in pain.   He prescribe me Tramadol 50 mg for pain.  This did not help much.  In February, got in to see my oncologist Dr. Dickerson at the cancer center.  They knew immediately this was not right.  Got a nuclear bone scan, then a CT Scan, then an MRI.  The pictures told everything!

How quickly my life has changed, Bill's as well.  We told our family, our church family, and close friends.  Before I knew it, I had to start explaining to everyone what was metastatic breast cancer in the bone.  No, it is not bone cancer.  It is breast cancer that has spread from it's original area to a new area.  There is no cure only a life of continuous treatment of the cancer.  It is a chronic disease.  I had to educate myself quickly as there is so much to understand and know about this horrible disease and how it will effect the rest of my life.

My doctor said there is some good news to know. The cancer had not spread to the spinal cord, epidural fluid, or any of my organs. Yes, that is good news...I'll take it.   Last week, I had a biopsy of the T3 vertebra as it had the most cancer.  Dr. D wants to find out what hormone receptor is feeding the cancer.  Bill and I meet with her tomorrow to discuss this and what the treatment plan is going forward.

My friends and family are praying for Bill and I as we go through this dark journey.  Yes, I have cried buckets of tears as the harsh reality of what this all means sinks in.  As I have tried to explain to everyone, I am not afraid, I am walking with the Lord and He is holding my hand.  My faith is strong and know, with my Lord by my side and in my heart, I can finish the race well.

Pray for Bill as he'll need strength, patience, love and understand during this time.  He drives me everywhere right now and is caring for me.  We have 40+ years of marriage together and we are best friends.   He said the other day, "he wishes he could fix this for me".  With tears in my eyes, I said, "I know". 

Comments

  1. I love you guys and am praying now. Your words are so encouraging Aunt Val, and oh, how I'm thankful you're walking with the Lord through this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts