Dealing With Cancer and Living Life

Thank you doesn't even begin to cover the outpouring of prayers, cards, and calls from our friends and family.  Bill and I are deeply moved by all the support from everyone as we begin to discover our day-to-day abilities of dealing with cancer and living life.

Had the 3 grandsons visit this weekend.  Love, love, love them!  They really helped take my mind off of what's happening to me, and bring so much joy to Bill and I.  Yeah, I push myself a little harder and need to rest more, but really enjoy them being a part of our lives.  We stayed inside as it was too hot to play outside.  Star Wars monopoly, Legos, and movies (Paddington, I Robot, & Homeward Bound) fit the bill for activities this time.  Church on Sunday rounded out good times and home they went.  Lots of rest now for Bill and I. 

Life at the farm:
We continue with our animals, feeding and caring like not much has changed.  Bill helps more with my horse Magic with walking to the barn and grooming if I can't do it.  I enjoy grooming my horse everyday as it is therapeutic and a bonding opportunity since I'm not riding right now.  Desperately want to ride and get back out on trails.  Doc says I can if my body says I'm able.  The chickens are easy keepers and I enjoy their funny little lives around my orchard.  Dry weather requires two watering's a day of the garden.  Picking weeds is still a daily chore.  Didn't get my corn planted yet.  May be getting too late in the season.  What a shame that would be.    

Cancer Treatment:
I'm in full treatment mode right now.  Started Xgeva injection to prevent bone fractures and build bone material.  Not sure how often I'll get that shot yet.   Started my double shots 250 mg each (one in each butt-cheek) ouch, of Faslodex hormonal treatment.  This is suppose to block estrogen receptors of the cancer tumors, basically starving the tumors from what is feeding them...the estrogen in my body.  This is the 1st line protocol treatment for metastatic breast cancer in the bones.  Dr. D my oncologist wants to combine it with Ibrance in a couple of weeks which is a new drug available in the U.S., but my white blood cells count has to be high enough for me to get this shot.  So far, side effects haven't been too bad.  Learning to rest more.  Back and rib pain continue, but not as bad as before. Still cry too easy and I don't like that at all. 

Road Trip:
Going on our first 2017 road trip to Virginia for a week.  Going to see how that all works out with my body.  Wearing very comfortable cloths, watch what I eat (yeah sure), and use pillows for the car ride.  Packing plenty of pain meds just in case.  Already informed Carter (our son) that might have to rest more before going on all day outings.   Just got to visit and play with the grand-daughter Miss Olivia though.

Share this blog with other MBC folks:
Although this blog is meant to keep family and friends updated on how we are doing, I would encourage you to forward this info to anyone you know dealing with breast cancer.  Unfortunately, Metastatic Breast Cancer will effect 1/3 of all women that have had breast cancer.  These numbers are not really what doctors want to discuss, and breast cancer campaigns don't want to promote.  I also want to encourage all women of all ages to not rely on mammograms as a first line of defense, but to conduct self exams monthly. This is how I found my tumor.  Too many women are getting breast cancer discovered too late.  And returning cancer numbers are way too high.  Too many women are still dying from this incurable disease. 

Some excellent MBC resources:
Closed Facebook Group: Metastatic (Advanced) Breast Cancer Support Group
YouTube Channels: 
Living Beyond Breast Cancer
Metastatic Breast Cancer Network

Love you all and God bless.

Comments

Popular Posts