News From the Farm and Starting Cancer Treatment

We haven't had any rain in a while here at the farm.  The ground is so dry and we are under a burn ban in Alachua County.  The pecan trees are leafing out and all the trees have come back this year.  Yahoo!  Have kept myself busy weeding the garden, (an endless task) and planted green beans today.  Bush Blue Lake, yum.  Very late, but still can sneak in some rows before the hot summer weather.  Hope to get my corn planted, very late in the season as well.  Red and white potatoes are just about ready to harvest.  It has been hard to get outside and physically do much with all the back and rib pain.

Cancer treatment update:  Last Thursday, had my Quadramet injection. Hoping this helps with the bone pain.   It is a bone palliation therapy using radioactive samarium.  Interesting use of nuclear medicine.  Had to look up a lot of the info.  Dr. Grow my radiologist had to administer it at the hospital.  No I didn't glow in the dark that night, ha!  But was radioactive for 2 days.  Side effects may include nausea, temporary decrease in white blood cells, and temporary increase in bone pain (flairs).  Friday, met with the Oncologist Dr. Dickerson, and reviewed the results of the bone biopsy to confirm hormone receptor and again I am ER (estrogen receptor) positive.  Also, HER negative.  So, now we can move on to the cancer treatment. Will start Faslodex hormone therapy next Friday.  Faslodex is a once a month injection (in the rear-end) ouch, that fights cancer as an estrogen receptor downregulator.  Basically, starves the cancers.  If my white blood cell count is good, I should also start Imbrance in a few weeks to work together with Faslodex. 

So far, I'm still trying to figure out what is the new normal.  I had a bad day...hit the wall on Saturday and rested the entire day on the couch, Sunday was a good day, although I didn't sleep much that night.  Monday was bad day.  Bill said I looked pale and I felt light headed.  Rested again most of the day and then had a good night sleep.  Today, I feel really good.

Joined a "Closed" Facebook Group for Metastatic Breast Cancer Stage IV folks...like me.  Wow, it was very encouraging.  So many out there that are double digits in survival years, 10, 12, and 14.  I am extremely hopeful that I too can be one of those. 

Love you all and thanks for your prayers. 

P.S.  If you are just joining, please read the posting from April 20 it will give you background info.





 

Comments

Popular Posts